Potential for Data Loss: The steps detailed in the resolution of this article may result in a loss of critical data if not performed properly. Before beginning these steps, make sure all important data is backed up in the event of data loss. If you are unsure or unfamiliar with any complex steps detailed in this article, please contact Product Support Services for assistance.
How to uninstall and completely remove TAC Vista 4.3 to TAC Vista 4.5
- Microsoft Windows OS
- Vista 4.3 to Vista 4.5
Occasionally it is beneficial to be able to remove a TAC Vista installation completely, removing any indication it was ever installed.
When using SQL 2000 or enterprise version not administered by TAC Vista:
- Backup SQL database named "taclogdata." Use the backup function in SQL Server manager. Save the database outside of the Microsoft SQL Server and TAC root directory (usually C:\Program Files\TAC and> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server).
- Backup TAC Vista log and event database using backup function in TAC Vista.
- Backup TAC Vista database using backup function in TAC Vista.
- Stop SQL manager, Task manager/processes – stop sqlserv.exe and sqlagent.exe if running.
- Remove TAC Vista Config1.x using the uninstall program in Control panel Add/Remove programs.
- Remove all TAC Vista hotfixes.
- Remove TAC Vista Server 4.x.x using the uninstall program in Control panel Add/Remove programs.
- If additional TAC programs like TAC ToolPack, TAC XBuilder etc. are installed remove them as mentioned before.
- Remove SQL (Microsoft SQL server desktop engine) using the uninstall program in Control panel Add/Remove programs.
- Save off a customer's license (.lic) file to another location. Delete remaining uninstalled TAC folders (usually C:\Program Files\TAC).
- Delete remaining files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\TAC Shared.
- Delete remaining uninstalled SQL (Microsoft SQL server) folders (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server)
Check to see if TAC needs to be removed from the registry – Start, Run, REGEDIT.
Remove all keys containing "TAC Shared," e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\TAC Shared\TACADDON01_ENG.dll.
If applicable - Remove SQL from registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL server
- Go to user profiles delete the profile Computername\TACA_Computername (Versions of Vista <5.0)
- Go to My computer, right click manage, local users and groups, users, and delete user account TACA_Computername and TACM_Computername.
- Reinstall desired version.
See Lessons Learned Article #4595 for steps on removing TAC Vista 5.