In WorkPlace Commissioning Tool, the following error message appears when browsing a BACnet/IP network: "A critical error occurred in the communication server rtmonitor.exe. Please shutdown this application and the communication server then try again."
Windows 7 computer
WorkPlace Tech Tool software version 5.7 or later
The WinPcap driver, used in WorkPlace Tech BACnet communications was configured to start on demand and the WPT module that is attempting to start WinPcap does not have the necessary Windows security rights.
NOTE 1: Before using this procedure, please verify that the issue noted in Lessons Learned Article 2736 has been corrected, if present, and did not solve the problem.
NOTE 2: If the computer is running Windows 7-64 bit, replace the following references to "Program Files" with "Program Files (x86)".
To correct this issue, perform the following steps.
- Open Windows Explorer, i.e., "My Computer" or "Computer" from the Windows Start menu or computer desktop.
- Open the folder "C:\Program Files\WorkPlace Tech"
- For each of the following program files listed here, in turn: RTMonitor.exe, WPCT.exe, WPFB.exe and WPTech.exe
- Right click on the program name,
- Select Properties from the pop-up menu,
- Select the "Compatibility" tab.
- In the Compatibility display, click the button [Change settings for all users].
- Locate "Privilege Level" section of the displayed window and check the box "Run this program as an administrator". (See snapshot below)
- Click the [OK] button to save the settings for all users. The window will close.
- You will see that the Privilege Level option is no longer selectable. Click the [OK] button to save the compatibility settings.
After setting the privilege option for each of the four programs in the Workplace Tech folder, repeat the same setting change for the Microsoft Visio program itself, VISIO.EXE. Depending on the version you are using, it will be located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX folder where xx is 14, i.e., Office14, for Visio 2010, 12, i.e., Office12, for Visio 2007 or 11, i.e., Office11, for Visio 2003.
After setting these options, the computer should be shut down and restarted before using the WorkPlace Tech Tool software.