Migrate from custom installed Microsoft SQL Server 2000 to custom installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005
When you upgrade from Vista 4.3.0 - 4.5.0 to Vista 5.x you can continue to use the SQL Server 2000, but as the security and performance is better in SQL Server 2005, you would want to upgrade. There are some things that are important before you upgrade. You should of course take a backup, but there’s also some other things you should have in mind.
- If you want to have the same instance name on the SQL Server 2005 as you have on the SQL Server 2000, you must have two different PCs.
- The SQL Server 2000 should be SP4
- The SQL Server 2005 should be SP2
- The SQL Server 2005 should be minimum “Standard” version
Click here to download this article as a PDF.
Always remember to update from TAC Vista 4.5.0 to TAC Vista 5. This means that you have to update to TAC Vista 4.5.0 if you are currently running eg. TAC Vista 4.4.1.
Upgrade TAC Vista to 5.x, and have it connect to the existing database on SQL Server 2000.
- Check the existing SQL setup in TAC Vista Server Setup.
- Uninstall TAC Vista 4.5.0.
- Restart the PC.
- Install TAC Vista 5.
- In the installation procedure, type in the SQL credentials you checked earlier.
Stop TAC Vista Server and DSS Writer.
- To view installed services go to Start > Run > services.msc.
- If TACOS is running as a service, stop it in the services and set it to disabled.
- Stop the “TAC DSS Writer service” and set it to disabled.
Assure that the SQL Server Agent is started on both the SQL Server 2000 and the SQL Server 2005.
- This can be checked in Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Start the “SQL Server Management” on the PC where SQL Server 2005 is installed.
- This is the management tool that comes with SQL Server 2005
Connect to both the SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005.
- The connect button is located in the upper left corner.
- Login using either windows or SQL authentication.
Right click the Vista log database on the SQL Server 2000, select all tasks and copy.
- Follow the instructions in the wizard, and copy the database to the SQL 2005 Server (VERY slow process).
Configure TAC Vista to connect to the copied database on the SQL Server 2005
- Go to the SQL setup in TAC Vista Server Setup and have it connect to the DB on the SQL 2005 Server in stead of the SQL 2000 Server.
Start the DSS Writer
- Go to Start > Run > services.msc
- Set the “TAC DSS Writer service” to automatic and start it.
Start TAC Vista
- If TACOS is installed as a service, set it to automatic and start it.
- Otherwise, just start the TACOS application.